Although Clegane begs Arya to kill him, she leaves him to die.It is revealed that Clegane survived; he had been discovered by Ray, a warrior turned septon.

Remorseful, Clegane digs them a grave with Thoros's help. During the summit in the Dragon Pit outside King's Landing, Clegane confronts his brother and asks what they did to him then cuts off the answer and tells him he always knew who would come for him. ―Sandor Clegane to Ray. Sandor is a huge and heavily-muscled man.

With Joffrey's ascension to the throne, Clegane is named to the Kingsguard to replace the ousted Ser Barristan Selmy. The Hound then travels to King's Landing to kill his brother along with Arya, who intends to kill Cersei. Clegane takes up an ax to hunt down those responsible and kills four of them before discovering the remaining three about to be hanged by Lord Beric Dondarrion and Thoros of Myr, who inform him that the group were acting independently of the Brotherhood.

Despite their previous brutal fight, they converse on civil terms. The Brotherhood attempts to cross the Wall via Eastwatch-by-the-Sea, but are intercepted by wildling scouts manning the castle and are locked in the ice cells. Clegane brings out the trunk containing the wight, revealing to Cersei and Jaime Lannister the threat that lies beyond the wall.

Although Clegane slays him, Lord Beric is immediately resurrected by the Red Priest Thoros of Myr. On the way back to King's Landing, Joffrey falsely accuses a butcher's boy, Mycah, of having attacked him, and Clegane kills the boy, attracting the hatred of Mycah's friend Arya Stark. I am no I could keep you safe. Clegane assists Ray and his followers in building a sept, but one day, after a brief journey into nearby woods to chop wood, Clegane returns to the community to find everyone slaughtered by rogue members of the Brotherhood Without Banners. A fight ensues between the Clegane brothers, and Sandor struggles to even injure his inhuman brother. The two infiltrate the Red Keep amongst a crowd of civilians Cersei is using as human shields, but Daenerys begins burning the city down and the Red Keep begins to crumble.

He subsequently appeared in Martin's A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feas "You didn't know me back in my time. Before he leaves King's Landing, he offers to take Sansa north to Winterfell, which she refuses. Thoros has Clegane look into the flames of the Brotherhood's campfire, and in them the skeptical Clegane sees the White Walkers and their forces marching towards the Wall. You think that makes me some monster. Due to his incredibly massive size, he is called "The Mountain That Rides" or more often simply "The Mountain." You don't know the things I've done." During their journey, Arya reveals to Clegane that she has not forgiven him for killing Mycah and has vowed to kill him.

Sandor Clegane, nicknamed the Hound, is a fictional character in the A Song of Ice and Fire series of fantasy novels by American author George R. R. Martin, and its television adaptation Game of Thrones.