A diverting travel journal, for Anglophiles especially. He compared this journey to a similar one that he took in 1973. He definitely doesn't find quite the humorous glory that he finds in the US and Australia. Most enjoyable from start to finish, bring it on ! With a wit and pun the author accurately describes the British culture and various places.A must read for all Brits and anyone remotely interested in this most peculiar of countries. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. Bryson, who hails from Iowa, has spent the last 20 years living in England and writing about the often nettlesome relationship between his two countries, especially regarding their shared language (Made in America, LJ 2/1/95).

In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.
Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week?
His latest work is "a kind of valedictory tour around the green and kindly island" before he moved with his family back to the United States. In addition to gaining an appreciation of these qualities, it was interesting to see how Bill Bryson had grown as a person and author. I am so very glad I did. After living in the UK for a number of years, Bryson decided to take a fresh look at his adopted country and travels throughout England, Wales, and Scotland before he relocated his family to the U.S. for a period of time -- and the result is "Notes from a Small Island." Brief History of Indonesia: Sultans, Spices, and Tsunamis: The Incredible Story of Southeast Asia's Largest Nation I read it, loved it and never stopped laughing. This book is very funny and reading it (once you have been to the UK and you understand what the author is talking about) is absolutely hilarious. He asks, ``can there anywhere on earth be, in such a modest span, a landscape more packed with centuries of busy, productive attainment?'' Bryson also has an eye, unsurpassed by that of Prince Charles himself, for nasty architecture, especially shopping centers. vaste grond onder zijn voeten gevoeld te hebben, bezoekt hij de U.K. opnieuw. Publication date 1996 Topics Bryson, Bill -- Travel -- England, England -- Civilization -- 20th century, England -- Description and travel Publisher Morrow Very interesting and wonderfully dry in humor, they tell of a life wYou might try E. M. Delafield. Bill Bryson deserves a medal for telling how it is and does not lack in accurate historical fact. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of Was this review helpful to you? He was getting on my very last nerve with his sudden unfriendly outbursts to dogwalkers and jolly families enjoying cream buns. And before you think it's all critical, think again. There is something distinctly twinkly in Bill Bryson's writing style; although he does lapse into swearing from time to time (I am both a fan and a practitioner of swearing so I didn't mind this at all). I love my country and didn't want to read someone's criticism of it. This book was written in 1993, just prior to Bryson moving with his family to the USA after almost 20 years in Britain and it is a sort of fond farewell. Look, I'm a regular guy from Iowa who sometimes gets really narked at owners of undisciplined dogs and thinks hedgerows are A Good Thing and cars aren't. I wished I'd read it sooner. So of course I had to read our favourite grumpypants' take on it. He holds a mirror to a time that seems, in retrospect, like watching The Office; you recognise the characters and sometimes, embarrassingly, yourself. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed.