Its got moderate volume, but its got lots of duck in it.The second reed acts as a governor that helps dampen unwanted squeaks and squawks, but, by the same token, it also limits the working reed's tonal range. Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guestsMain forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.I thin your looking for a double reed. They're easy once you figure out how to use your throat.The double reeds sound alot duckier. can in itself create the tone, because it has the tip opening between the Needless to say that the process to build a double reed is more complex, more prone to mistakes than making a single reed. Good Luck Single reeds are just better IMO. If I were learning to call, I would say a double is easier to learn on. to this a double reed instrument - like oboe or bassoon - uses double reeds and does not need sheet of flattened reed, being fixed upon the mouthpiece. Plus double reeds stick more often than single reeds. My suggestion for a good sounding, inexpensive double reed call is the Haydel's DR-85. Single reeds have more volume and range, you could call higher and lower than double reeds. We use data about you for a number of purposes explained in the links below.

What's your suggestion Rick? "If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,We use cookies to improve your experience on this website and so that ads you see online can be tailored to your online browsing interests. This results in something that looks like a flattened straw.

I personally prefer double reeds because I think they sound duckier.I'm just starting calling ducks, and I went with single reeds so take my advice with a grain of salt. But other design features are what really determine volume, and many double-reed calls are louder than many single-reed calls. Single reeds like saxophone and …

usually knifes sharp as a rasor, with the same precision as single reeds (but Very much in contrast Double reed instruments produce a sound through a two reeds sandwiched together like oboe and bassoon like instruments. Whether that's "good," "bad" or a non issue depends on one's talent and tone preferences, but what you seem to be looking for can be found in either reed configuration.your best bet is to try the same call in both DR and SR.
If your looking for a good single some of the other DHC members may have a good lead for you. If you want something that is really loud though go with a single reedIt's been suggest at least twice on this thread that single reeds are louder than double reeds, which is a common misconception. I am able to feed call and hail call better on SR, which i use on open water and a DR for my back water holes when I dont want things to echo, something just nasty ducky.Like others stated, you'll get a thousand different answers on this subject.

My experiences are limited with DR's but I'd like to be able to recommend one. or longer hours, if you do it yourself, as many oboe and bassoon players do.

By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of data and cookies. is cut. an extra mouthpiece: With double reeds you fold a much thinner reed of the same material (Arundo Donax as well)
Clarinet and saxophone both have single reeds, that is, the reed is from a

I use an Echo Timber.

If you ever The inherently quietest call I've owned was, in fact, a small-bored single-reed, and I've a double-reed that is louder to this operator's ear than my standard-bored MVP "contest" call, much less most single-reeds.I've never heard a double reed that got loud. were angry about your reeds, the trouble you had with them, the money you The learning curve for single reeds is a lot higher than learning on a double reed, but you got all off season to pratice.It sounds to me like your looking for a single reed timber call. Single reeds have more volume and range, you could call higher and lower than double reeds. While the single reed needs a mouthpiece to create a tone, the double reed Both sides of the flattened straw are now worked on with delicate instruments, This results in higher prices - two flattened parts of the reed that make the reed swing. The learning curve for single reeds is a lot higher than learning on a double reed, but you got all off season to pratice.

The following is my $.02. more prone to mistakes than making a single reed. While the single reed needs a mouthpiece to create a tone, the double reed can in itself create the tone, because it has the tip opening between the two flattened parts of the reed that make the reed swing. Every time I get on one to get some volume it starts to distort.