Otherwise, it would probably be ranked higher on this list. However, they do require a bit more care. The 5000 series reel on a medium action 7′ rod works well for casting lures and fishing live and cut baits. Live bait chumming requires a lot of bait. This can be seen from quite a distance away on a calm day. Small amounts of chum are then tossed over the stern. Bluefish respond well to chum during the day or night and are often targeted by party boats.The size of bluefish vary greatly and can be commonly caught from 6 inches to 20 pounds. The net is then cast over the bait, allowed to sink, and the net with bait pulled in and emptied into the well. They are seldom encountered very far offshore. Light conventional tackle may be a better choice, especially when drift fishing or trolling.Surf fishing for bluefish is very popular all along the east coast. ©2018 Sarasota Fishing Charters | Captain Jim Klopfer | 941-371-1390 | Websites By: When the fish are biting well is important to use durable baits that will not get destroyed by their sharp teeth.Yes, bluefish are good eating. Top water plugs are fun and exciting, however shallow diving plugs are generally more productive. For bluefish over two pounds using a wire leader is a good idea.AFW steel wire is a great way to make cheap bluefish rigs and special tools are not required. Anytime I catch a bluefish I pick it up from the mouth using a fish lip gripper. This is my video YouTube.The other specialized piece of equipment required for live bait chumming is a large recirculating live well with rounded corners. An 8 foot to 10 foot tapered leader with a 30 pound bite tippet finishes off the rig.As a fishing guide in Sarasota, I’m on the water around 200 days a year. These bait fish are usually around from June until November. Long rods are used, between 10 and 13 feet long. Rocky jetties and peers that line these inlets and passes can be terrific spots. If the sun is up, the bait can often times be seen flashing along the bottom. It works well from a boat or when surf fishing for bluefish.The black Bomber is also a Long Shot Minnow Bomber. It is 6-1/2 inches in length and weighs 1-1/2 ounces. It comes in sizes of 3-inch 3/8 ounce, 4-inch 1 once, 5-inch 1-3/8 ounce, 6-inch 2-3/8 ounce, 6-1/2 inch 4-1/4 ounce, 7-inch 3 ounces, and 9-inch 6-1/4 ounce.Good color options for bluefish include pearl spot, chartreuse, black back, and blue back. They can also be trolled. When fishing for bluefin tuna it is common to use bluefish as bait.The trolling speed for bluefish depends on the type of lures being used. Bluefish bite during the day and at night. I personally prefer to throw a smaller net such as the 8 foot net four or five times as opposed to a 12 foot net twice.