The lighting is the key in this technique. Decide if photography is right for you. A news photographer has become the news, and I feel good about that.

Larry responded to him by saying “the only way you could become a professional photographer today is if you have a picture of a body or a helicopter over the Capitol dome.

... And yes, Reuters …

While Larry was shooting pictures, and as I remotely edited his pictures from the Reuters Washington bureau over a cellular data card connected to his laptop, a young freelance photographer named Alexander Morozov walked up and started asking questions, expressing his interest in becoming a professional news photographer. People become photographers for different reasons — a passion for aesthetics, an eagerness to tell stories, a desire to better understand the world around them, or maybe just a simple but unexplainable passion for capturing moments on film. Some people take a class or get a college art degree with a photography focus. Thank you. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. When reports of “shots fired” came in from multiple locations on Washington’s Capitol Hill on October 3, I dispatched Reuters Washington photographers in force, with four staff photographers and two contract photographers racing towards the scene within minutes of the shots being fired.

« Previous Post Here are the The CreativeLive Guide on How To Become A Photographer will help point you in the right direction with these 12 actionable steps. There is no “right way” or "wrong way" to become a better photographer. Professional photographers claim that many of their best pictures of scenes, from urban to rural, beaches to deserts, are taken shortly after dawn and just before sunset..

For full functionality of this page it is necessary to enable JavaScript.

After Alexander and I negotiated a deal for Reuters to buy his picture Larry turned to Andrew, congratulated him and said “You’re going to be a published news photographer today.” It was a picture from the scene that Reuters was happy to have and publish.We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. Know yourself. Do you have that?”After looking at the picture on the back of Alexander’s camera, Larry said “let me call my boss” and immediately dialed me on his cell phone. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. At these times, streams of light do amazing things to … To ensure that a career in photography is right for you, it’s essential to fully research the profession and get a clear understanding of what is involved, including daily duties, skills, working conditions and salary information. You subscribed. Others believe that college is a waste of time for becoming a photographer.

It also provides you with occasional communications about our products and services. But, for me, the biggest joy is that I managed to save a family from the grief of losing a young son. Step 1: Just get started Mark Twain may have been referring to writing when he said that “the secret of getting ahead is getting started,” but the idea applies to photography too. I'm unclear if you want to work as a freelancer, a stock photographer, or a staff photographer, but broadly speaking it's not easy to break into this area. Develop your photography skills.

How do you become a professional photographer? Reuters photographer Issei Kato profile: “I decided that I wanted to become a witness of history as it unfolds around the world.”. Based: Tokyo, Japan

Outside Japan, I shoot G-20 meetings, political events and sometimes sports like the Olympics. But in this day of ever present camera phones, and with so many members of the public carrying cameras, unless a news photographer is lucky enough to be right on the scene when spot news happens, there is always someone else who was there shooting pictures first.Staff photographer Larry Downing was one of the first Reuters photographers on the scene at the Capitol Hill shooting. For more information on our comment policy, see While Larry was shooting pictures, and as I remotely edited his pictures from the Reuters Washington bureau over a cellular data card connected to his laptop, a young freelance photographer named Alexander Morozov walked up and started asking questions, expressing his interest in becoming a professional news photographer.