This more than likely cost us a few fish.That’s why as previously mentioned, with circle hooks, it’s better to wait it out until you are certain the fish is on (meaning big, consistent rod bends).If you are looking for a catfish trip of a lifetime, be sure to In-depth, easy to follow fishing information right at your fingertips. We’ll cover how to read the water, find potential catfish holes/dens and then finally catch you a big one. The fast water immediately below a dam attracts lots of catfish with the promise of an easy meal.

Studies have shown that flatheads captured in … Water patterns on the surface give you a clue, but if you are bank fishing they can be hard to find. They search out the deepest water and stack up there. If a deep-water pool lies just downstream, productivity increases even more.Some rivers and lakes have prominent bottom channels; others have subtle drops and ledges.

Trophy cats usually stay near deep water falling into the channel. Instead, they seemed to circle the bait and nibble at it. If you are in big fish country, then bigger won’t hurt at all either.Finally, one of the easiest ways to buy the right setup, at the best price, is to simply buy the combo. Typically catfish rigs use 12 to 20 pound monofilament on stout casting or spinning outfits. For simplicity, a rods power rating is really just how strong the backbone of the rod is. 1.888.836.3204 U.S. / Canada     •     1.513.527.1260 International Below we are going to go through gear, location, presentation, and the tactics you need to be successful in landing the catfish of a lifetime – even as a beginner.There are multiple different variations of Catfish. Grab a budget rod and reel and it will correlate with the material best suited for your price point.Rod length is going to be the first factor we need to consider. What’s important to remember is this: the best bait and equipment are useless unless hungry catfish are nearby. As you will find out, we recommend using a circle hook as a catfishing staple. The most important factor when catching any fish is to understand fish behavior and location. Look for them near features such as brush piles, points, adjacent humps, cuts in the bank, etc.

Use a weight and hook only, with chicken liver or night crawlers for bait. Noodling catfish is a form of fishing that doesn’t require any gear or equipment, just a willingness to let a catfish bite your hand and then pulling them out of their hole. The sonar/depth and fish finder technology is so nice to have if you are fishing from a bot. Often times, rushing to the rod during the first sign of life was a misstep. That’s why in most circumstances a moderate-fast to fast action rod is an ideal setup for catfish.Finally, let’s talk about what to look for in an ideal catfish reel. Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer: I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. My personal experience is noodling catfish in rivers, specifically the James River running through Richmond Virginia. The world record brown and black bullheads, in fact, came from lakes. Long upstream casts put the bait into “grooves” of slower-moving water between open gates for a productive drift.

The first step to noodling catfish is actually finding the catfish. You can catch a ton of catfish in the cold weather of winter. In fact, my last experience has been one of the best ones yet.This time, my friend Hannah and I went with one of the most renowned catfishing guides in the midwest: Not only did we get on a hot catfish bite, but we learned how to become trophy catfish anglers from the comfort of our backyard.Whether you are a first-timer or a seasoned angler, catfishing is an awesome opportunity for anyone to try. They just need to be large enough to handle a spool full of 30 lb braid. For consistent success, we need more information. These areas usually form deep, mysterious holes with funky currents, a perfect spot for a catfish to hang out and sniff its next meal. Our second favorite spot to find big catfish in rivers is in the deep scoured out heads of pools, and holes in rivers.

Anything that stinks can get their attention but you’ll find bait such as suckers, shrimp, chicken, and shad common options that we will breakdown below.As for timing, the best time to target catfish on the Red River is from May through October. Cats abandon these structures only when oxygen levels fall too low, such as when a pond stratifies in summer.Deep holes are particularly good during daylight hours when cats seek the sanctuary of darkness. As current velocity and wave action increase, moving water presses the seam of still backwater, causing it to circulate like a vortex.