I love putting in the hands of my students the raw materials from which historical interpretations can be developed; it allows me to work with my students on the craft of researching and writing history.

But don't have the time or patience for a 400-page book?

For even more Stonewall resources, check out this research supplement to Marc Stein’s The Stonewall Riots: A Documentary History. Across 200 documents, Marc Stein presents a unique record of the lessons and legacies of Stonewall.

My apologies to Marc Stein.

Some promotions may be combined; others are not eligible to be combined with other offers.

If we’re sensitive to language, we can be challenged by the complexities of translation, since the words, concepts, and categories of the past are not necessarily the words, concepts, and categories of today.

But don't have the time or patience for a 400-page book?

It's a stunning, impactful book.

There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists.

Across 200 documents, Marc Stein presents a unique record of the lessons and legacies of Stonewall. The underlying conditions were all in place for that inevitable moment.

The model takes into account factors including the age of a rating, whether the ratings are from verified purchasers, and factors that establish reviewer trustworthiness.

The reason for the two star rating is that the book (paperback edition) is falling apart as I read it!

It’s really great to be able to read source documents yourself and form your own conclusions.

You don't want to miss this!Tom leads a dive team into the most dangerous place on Earth: a shipwreck carrying live nuclear weapons.

To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. You don't want to miss this!Do you want to learn about Martin Luther King Jr.?

Select your address Stonewall Riots.

In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading.

Marc Stein establishes the historical context in which the Stonewall riots occurred through this well-assembled collection of primary sources, and the voices behind these documents reflect the building momentum for that catalyst event in June 1969 which became the shot heard around the world for the LGBTQ revolution. Amassing a cornucopia of primary sources (many of which have never been published outside their original sources), Marc Stein’s Stonewall Riots: A Documentary History provides the LGBTQIA scholar and student alike with fresh and historical glimpses into the Stonewall Riots and into the social milieu leading up to and following this pivotal moment in queer activist history.

The pages detach from the binding as they are turned.

This is the first time I’ve read a book like this where the reader has access to such a wealth of information from original documents.

Gotham: A Blog for Scholars of New York City HistoryGotham: A Blog for Scholars of New York City HistoryCUNY Digital History Archive, Chloe Smolarski, Univeristy of Harlem, New York Police Department (NYPD), City University of New York (CUNY)Andy Battle, Union Square, New Deal, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Steve Jaffe, Sarah Henry, Essiemae Skinner, Amazon, Joshua Freeman, Labor Movement, Museum of the City of New York (MCNY) Something went wrong.