This, then, was the dramatic tension in each book in the series: what ingenious idea would Tom and his friends come up with to save the day?2 The moral of these tales was simple: the right idea had the power to overcome a seemingly overwhelming challenge.To this day, I remain convinced of this basic philosophy: no matter what quandaries we face—business problems, health issues, relationship difficulties, as well as the great scientific, social, and cultural challenges of our time—there is an idea that can enable us to prevail.

After all, it took me forty years to be able to see what was right in front of me, and I still cannot say that I am entirely comfortable with all of its consequences.The key idea underlying the impending Singularity is that the pace of change of our human-created technology is accelerating and its powers are expanding at an exponential pace. How to Create a Mind: The Secret of Human Thought Revealed Indeed, we often find not just simple exponential growth, but “double” exponential growth, meaning that the rate of exponential growth (that is, the exponent) is itself growing exponentially (for example, see the discussion on the price-performance of computing in the next chapter).Many scientists and engineers have what I call “scientist’s pessimism.” Often, they are so immersed in the difficulties and intricate details of a contemporary challenge that they fail to appreciate the ultimate long-term implications of their own work, and the larger field of work in which they operate. Le future s'approche plus et plus vite.

Where some see a divine hand, others see our own hands—namely, the anthropic principle, which holds that only in a universe that allowed our own evolution would we be here to ask such questions.7 Recent theories of physics concerning multiple universes speculate that new universes are created on a regular basis, each with its own unique rules, but that most of these either die out quickly or else continue without the evolution of any interesting patterns (such as Earth-based biology has created) because their rules do not support the evolution of increasingly complex forms.8 It’s hard to imagine how we could test these theories of evolution applied to early cosmology, but it’s clear that the physical laws of our universe are precisely what they need to be to allow for the evolution of increasing levels of order and complexity9If we place key milestones of both biological evolution and human technological development on a single graph plotting both the The above figures reflect my view of key developments in biological and technological history. Pour sortir de ce carrousel, utilisez votre touche de raccourci d'en-tête pour accéder à l'en-tête suivant ou précédent.Cette fonction d'achat continuera à charger des articles lorsque la touche Entrée est enfoncée. Le modèle d’apprentissage automatique tient compte de différents facteurs, comme : l’ancienneté d’un commentaire, les votes d’utilité des clients et si les commentaires proviennent d’achats vérifiés.Malheureusement, nous n'avons pas réussi à enregistrer votre vote. We have seen comparable mistakes during earlier paradigm shifts—for example, during the early railroad era (1830s), when the equivalent of the Internet boom and bust led to a frenzy of railroad expansion.Another error that prognosticators make is to consider the transformations that will result from a single trend in today’s world as if nothing else will change. Excellent livre, bien documenté, bien structuré, pas facile à lire... et c'est normal!

Many observers and reference books have compiled lists of important events in biological and technological evolution, each of which has its own idiosyncrasies.

Sélectionnez la section dans laquelle vous souhaitez faire votre recherche.

But for those more knowledgeable and inquisitive, the author argues his case in fascinating detail . I agree with many of the other reviews here.

Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence Future machine intelligence will also have “bodies” (for example, virtual bodies in virtual reality, or projections in real reality using foglets) in order to interact with the world, but these nanoengineered bodies will be far more capable and durable than biological human bodies.