Cunningham started as a summer intern on the NYSE floor in 1994, worked for rival exchange Nasdaq, and managed the NYSE's equities, equities derivatives and exchange traded fund businesses as chief operating officer before getting the nod. By signing up you are agreeing to our Have a question about our comment policies?

She served as the exchange's chief operating officer from 2015 to 2018. “For me, it wasn’t the way my life unfolded.”Heads of state as well as other political and business leaders make frequent appearances on Cunningham’s schedule. Comments are not available on this story. “As our COO, Stacey Cunningham successfully managed our equities, equities derivatives, and ETF businesses, distinguishing herself as a customer-focused leader who is respected across our industry,” said Jeff about Stacey.After 226 years, an intern is becoming the President of NYSE.

Says Cunningham: “It means more to me to be the president of this place than it means to me to be the first woman.” Search for: About. Men in blue jackets pace well-worn floorboards, frowning and calling out bids as the designated market maker zeroes in on the opening price for a clean-energy company. — Stacey Cunningham (@stacey_cunning) May 22, 2018 Nasdaq has a year-and-a-half jump over NYSE with Adena Friedman as its first woman CEO.

It’s being direct. “Being outnumbered can cut both ways,” she says. "Having two gets us closer to normalizing women in leadership positions," Stellings said, "where people will hopefully talk more about their leadership than that they are a woman. “I played my own game.”After nine years on the NYSE floor, Cunningham took a detour to pursue an old dream: cooking. Stacey Cunningham. She is the second female president of the NYSE, but the first to hold full leadership of the exchange. And having two women in those jobs leading the exchanges, said Brande Stellings, who leads advisory services for Catalyst, a research and consulting organization focused on women in leadership, could help change the way people think about female leaders in the financial sector. Stacey and our team are steadfastly committed to ensuring that the U.S. remains the centre of world’s capital markets,” Here’s what Stacey had to say about her appointment on Twitter:Since the moment I stepped onto the trading floor, the In 1996, she joined the NYSE, joining a handful of women who then worked there when it was mostly A year later, Stacey was heading the sales and relationship management teams and in the next three years, she had become the COO. In her new role, she wants to bring more diversity to the male-dominated sector. All Rights Reserved. After interning with the NYSE during the 1990s, Cunningham became a trading floor clerk, continuing to work at the exchange until 2005. Why is that?’ I just decided in that moment I was going to set a tone with these guys going forward.” Cunningham looked him straight in the eye and cracked, “Well, my astrologer told me that Wednesday was a better day to start new ventures.” The would-be enforcer laughed and told her she’d do just fine on the floor.Still, it wasn’t always easy being “the girl,” Cunningham says. View Stacey Cunningham’s profile on LinkedIn, the world's largest professional community. © 2020 TIME USA, LLC. Mar 31, 2020 | 0 comments.

They have both have become CEOs at a time when the exchanges are facing industry disruption, from Both women are also like some 80 percent of female CEOs who rise to the top, Stellings said, in that they are internal candidates with significant industry or organizational experience. She’s single and doesn’t have kids–two things many have asked her about since she entered the public eye. "Whether they get it or not, who knows? By Amid the hustle of the floor, she discovered a work-hard, play-hard community that felt like home. Stacey Solomon has won huge praise from fans after showing a candid picture of herself at the pool with baby Rex. Review our Stacey Cunningham, who is currently the NYSE’s chief operating officer, will become the exchange’s 67th president as of Friday. time with Stacey Cunningham, who is currently the NYSE’s chief operating officer, will become the exchange’s 67th president as of Friday. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Two years later, after graduating from Lehigh University with a degree in industrial engineering, Cunningham headed back to Wall Street and joined the exchange as a trading-floor clerk.Her first week started with a test. Stacey Cunningham at the New York Stock Exchange on July 25, 2018. When Cunningham first set foot on the exchange floor as an intern in 1994, that single-stall bathroom was still there. She became COO in ’15 and took the top spot this past spring, breaking a glass ceiling.