That’s how it boiled out.”Steffey has always tried to work within a band setting, although his solo albums definitely have his name front and center.

Currently, he’s a member of The Boxcars, yet another award-winning outfit of all-star musicians Ron Stewart, Keith Garrett, Harold Nixon, and Gary Hultman. That was my thinking, totally. “I love her style.

In 1988, I left the Lonesome River Band and went back to school. It gives you a great deal of satisfaction to see how they progress and to watch them go out and become successful in their own right.”The desire to be a teacher and a mentor has been in Steffey’s head and heart for a very long time. I haven’t struck the first note with these guys but I’m excited and rarin’ to go.”Sounds like a very happy ending to a frustrating period for Mr. Steffey. Hailing from Eastern Tennessee, he has performed with an impressive array of award-winning groups including Alison Krauss & Union Station, the Lonesome River Band, Mountain Heart, The Isaacs, and the Dan Tyminski Band. I applied for that and went through the whole process and for the last couple of years, I’ve been doing actual classroom instruction. Everybody has been congratulating me and they are tickled to death. Especially with teenagers and young kids that are taking it up because I took the mandolin up when I was about 14.” The 11-year old that Steffey mentioned back then was none other than Sierra Hull.Then, in 2012, I interviewed Steffey after yet another of his IBMA wins, and he mentioned how happy he is that the now-older, 21-year old Hull is finally nominated in the mandolin category. Placeholders.enable(); We got to know her a little bit and she was fixing to have a change in her group and that’s when she asked us to hook up with her. The Lord has taken care of me and He has given me all of this stuff.

“In the early to mid-1980s, I was going to college here at ETSU trying to get my teaching degree. Their full tour schedule can be viewed online. Then, I got busier and busier with my playing.