"Her voice will live on to lift the hearts of generations to come," he said.Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said: "Her songs still speak to the nation in 2020 just as they did in 1940. "In 1940, at the height of the London Blitz, Vera Lynn would set off to the BBC's underground studios at the Criterion Theatre in central London.The 15-minute show was called Starlight and was broadcast at 2:30am to soldiers around the world.At the time, the BBC was being criticised in Parliament for broadcasting slushy, sentimental songs. She had a huge impact on me in Burma and remained important to me throughout my life," he said.In 2009, Lynn became the oldest artist to have a number one album in England with "We'll Meet Again: The Very Best of Vera Lynn." She later started performing on the radio and released her first solo recording "Up the Wooden Hill to Bedfordshire" in 1936.Lynn, pictured in 1964, was the first English artist to hit number one on the US record charts in 1952.In November 1941, Lynn was given her own radio show on the BBC, "Sincerely Yours, Vera Lynn." Lynn's husband passed away in 1998.Lynn received many honors in her lifetime.

Find out what's happening in the world as it unfolds.Lynn, who lived in Ditchling, East Sussex, England, died Thursday morning "surrounded by her close family," the statement posted on the charity's website said.Lynn's two most famous songs, "We'll Meet Again," released in 1939 at the start of the war and "The White Cliffs of Dover," recorded in 1942, created a patriotic image of a courageous and phlegmatic Britain that resonates with people in the UK even today. She took her grandmother's maiden name -- Lynn -- as a stage name at the age of 11. "Her music gave voice to the hopes and fears about the conflict with Nazi Germany.In 1941, she began a weekly radio broadcast from London called "Sincerely Yours.In tribute, Prime Minister Boris Johnson tweeted on Thursday (June 18): "Dame Vera Lynn's charm and magical voice entranced and uplifted our country in some of our darkest hours.

"Britain's PA Media news agency also reports her family confirmed her death in a statement. She was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1969 and was made a Dame in the Queen's 1975 birthday honors because of her contribution to charity.

Lynn, best known for her ballads ‘ We’ll Meet Again ’ and ‘The White Cliffs of Dover’, became known during the Second World War as “the forces’ sweetheart”, for giving hope to British soldiers and their families during the … 'Forces' sweetheart' Dame Vera Lynn dies at 103. Moore recently became the oldest artist to have a number one single in the UK charts with his rendition of "In 2017, Lynn became the oldest artist to have an album in the top ten on the British charts with "100," which was released in honor of her 100th birthday. By Rory O'Connor Dame Vera Lynn has died aged 103, her family have sadly confirmed. "WW2 veteran Sir Tom Moore, who raised more than £32m for NHS charities during the height of the coronavirus pandemic in April, said: "I really thought Vera Lynn would live longer, she's been speaking so well on TV recently. So rooted is she in the collective English psyche that the rock band Pink Floyd wrote a song about her called "Vera" on their seminal 1979 album "The Wall.

She began her career singing in working men's clubs at the age of just seven. "She demonstrated how music and entertainment can bring joy in the most challenging times. "Her voice brought comfort to millions in their darkest hours, her songs filled the nation's hearts with hope, and her emotive performances, whether home or abroad, then or now, helped to get us through. A number of MPs felt there needed to be more upbeat songs to boost morale.Her popularity even surprised the BBC, this was after all a little overseas show broadcast in the middle of the night.Vera Lynn sang the songs that resonated emotionally with people who were separated from their loved ones and she sang them directly to you.It was warm, intimate, heartfelt and personal, and that's why Vera Lynn became the "Forces' Sweetheart".Singer Katherine Jenkins, who performed Dame Vera's wartime classics for the VE Day anniversary last month, said: "I simply cannot find the words to explain just how much I adored this wonderful lady. Normal text size Larger text size Very large text size.