We moved in Oedipal lockstep: The more approval they gave me, the more fanatically I played. The replay and slow motion effects make the game mesmerising to watch. Sadly, Pete Gent died.
Whether you’re a Bears fan or a Giants fan, whoever you root for, they’re all getting shots, they’re all taking pills while they’re playing, and when they’re done they’re left with the pain and addictions.A memoir from a football physician is your next selection. Find This Book In the United States – when I was growing up and to this day – kids are sold on the notion that sports stars are heroes, coaches are father figures and on the sports field the best man wins, good overcomes bad. He wrote about what he saw from the inside in Which was the next book I wanted to ask about. But my brain?

Phil Elliott becomes more and more disillusioned with all the drug taking and all of the incredible immorality of the players – the guns, the lying, the cheating, the abuse and rape of women. Ninety-five per cent of it is within civilised bounds, but that 5%? He played American football for Northwestern University as an undergraduate. The book gets a little confused at the end but the first half of it is absolutely brilliant.It’s about a main character who is a wide receiver – it’s clearly Pete Gent but he’s called Phil Elliott.
Introduce us to I covered college football during the 1970s, 80s and into the 90s, so I knew Barry Switzer, the legendary coach of the Oklahoma Sooners, quite well. Americans like to live right up to the edge of our laws. It’s a uniquely American television spectacle.Some of our readers won’t be initiated in the pleasures of football – can you just brief us on them? Whether it’s a concussion or a blown-out knee, you can end up injuring someone for life. Spectator sports are tied into university life in a way they aren’t in Asia, Europe or South America. And now we know, more and more, what happens inside the head. The next novel you named is about the Dallas Cowboys. As he said, “the magic was in the players”.College football is big business in the US. Telander has won the Illinois Sportswriter of the Year Award six times in seven years, most recently in 2008. It is a ticket to a better way of life that can become an obsession for some (such as Clavin Franks). He was considered a whistle-blower. If you’re a coach for a brief time, you see you can make people do inhuman things. That was constant. Toradol shots, which is the new rage, they get all the time, routinely, every game. By clicking 'Sign me up' I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the Tell us what you like and we'll recommend books you'll love. By clicking 'Sign me up' I acknowledge that I have read and agree to the © 2020 Simon & Schuster, Inc. All rights reserved. If you've enjoyed this interview, please support us by Whether you're scared most by graphic body horror, the uncategorisable, or the blurring of boundaries between supernatural menace and psychological unraveling, this list will have something for you. Then you get a guy like Pete Gent, who was from the Midwest but joined the Dallas Cowboys. Sexuality was something that he brought up – the point that in sports, and particularly in football, if you don’t do something you’re called weak, you’re called a coward or, worst of all, you’re called a female. Telander has written eight books, including Heaven is a Playground which was named as one of the best sports books of all time by Sports Illustrated. A graduate of Northwestern University, Telander played cornerback for NU and was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs.

He saw that the medical staff’s mission was to help the owner because that’s why they were hired. Was football that drug-dependent and is it still?Yes. You can’t hit anything, including people, with your head without sustaining damage.Most kids just quit, they play football for a while and they may be tough but they will say there’s something wrong with this sport. We have more guns than anywhere in the world and a huge part of the reason why is that we don’t want to be controllable, certainly not by government. He talks about Dean Steinkuhler, a tremendous player for the Raiders, who had 13 knee surgeries and another guy, Mike Munchak, a great player too, who had nine surgeries on his right knee alone. He was a unique one and As the title says, Switzer was the son of a bootlegger. If there were no rules these guys would just kill each other.

It’s horrible – almost hard to read. Concussions happen all the time. The insurance aspect of it has made the NFL do something and made parents more aware.