A ballad is usually a song. Find and share the perfect poems. The opening stanzas seem to suggest that this will be a poem about love and beauty; when the opening line says “All in green went my love riding,” we begin to expect an ode dedicated to the speaker’s love. The sadism of the speaker’s love borrows from the “cruel woman” motif from courtly love literature and Troubadour poetry. The arrows may also be a nod to the Roman god Cupid and his love arrows. E. E. Cummings is important to me and maybe to you too. They have been granted a It’s as if Diana’s arrow has morphed into Cupid’s dart.Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.Interesting Literature is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon.co.uk. cummings, is Available! Nothing Gold Can Stay Analysis Line 1. The stops caused by the monosyllabic words “my,” “heart,” “fell,” and “dead” highlight the suddenness of the speaker’s death; the omission of the latter triplet and couplet from this section mimics the abrupt ending of the narrative. four lean hounds crouched low and smiling In other words, it is the hunter who is triumphing in her hunts when the poem says that the bugle or arrow sings.Cummings personifies the hounds in “four lean hounds crouched low and smiling,” the bugle in “the cruel bugle sang,” and the arrow in “the famished arrow sang.” By associating them with human qualities, Cummings uses the hounds, the bugle, and the arrow to describe the activities, feelings, and sensations of the hunter: in reality, the hunter is the one who would be capable of being hungry, pursuing animals, and singing. the lucky hunter sang before. The triplet-couplet-triplet-couplet format is repeated in the three sections that follow. the level meadows ran before. Blog. the merry deer ran before. He attended the Cambridge Latin High School, where he studied Latin and Greek. The Ecchoing Green by William Blake is a three-stanza poem that embodies an AABBCCDDEE rhyme scheme throughout its course to present a theme that’s as beautiful as it is melancholy.

Horn at hip went my love riding A PoetryNotes™ eBook is available for this poem for delivery within 24 hours, and usually available within minutes during normal business hours. Nature’s first green is gold, Nothing Gold Can Stay begins with a simple statement. Formal elements of these last two stanzas also closely approximate the content of the poem.

the merry deer ran before. To be honest, not much else happens in this poem. The final line of the poem, in which the romance fails, the speaker turns out to be a deer, and even dies taking an arrow shot by his own lover, contradicts our expectations surrounding the situation constructed by the previous stanzas of the poem. Poets.org.