You may unsubscribe at any time. It's almost functional enough to act as a drop-in replacement for Windows Server.Will have a look mate, it seems freeNAS might actually do what I want as well (scheduled sleep and WOL) so might be an option.i played around with a linux live cd once,never again its quite a complicated os imo,unless your already used to it i wouldn't bother with it really yeah it might be good but the learning curve will be steep and kind of unnecessary when you think about it as there are plenty of other alternatives that are just as good if not better,just my 2p worth on it.65DX902B, Sky+ HD, DMP-UB700, XBMC, Onkyo TX-NR686, Celestion F30/48c/S80
Here's I'm just a happy customer, no dog in this fight.Thanks! and I've got a couple of modern low-power tower servers (HP ML-110 G7 and IBM x3100-M4) that perform NAS duties. As It was a great decision. Because FreeNAS by its nature is free, you find that cloud access can sometimes require more setup or tinkering with the ports on your router or with the setup of a third party DDNS provided software. continue The If it works for folks, great, but it's always been a lackluster option when I've tried it.FreeNAS is a great option for DIY if you're into ZFS, though you should do your research on what all it entails. Even if you can save 200 dollars on box time that you will spend configuring it will be more expensive.i went from a Server 2012r2 box to a simple 2 drive WD NAS and put the two Red drives I had in it.all prebuilt nas I've had always had issues keeping up with 1gbit network. days. JavaScript is disabled. At the time, it was relatively easy to hang up to six drives off of one motherboard, but adding another five required some add-on boards. tuning. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcutsCookies help us deliver our Services. I wanted the bit-rot protection they have and didn't want to fool with any more NAS troubleshooting for a little while. next Looking at the same myself just now.

Pretty much any modern one from Synology, QNAP, etc will fit the bill in terms of speed. I tried pricing out a FreeNAS build that was power efficient. need faster
was

I'm looking at the AS6210T, which is a 10-bay unit. I can tell from reading some of these posts that many users here are people who have built massive DIY data stores - that's awesome.However, for me, I think it's a little unnecessary. Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next > robertgd Member. Luckily none of that matters once your setup is complete. non-raid / non-jbod makes no sense. the largest device industry's I don't want to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting my array and I'm not too keen on investing in something that I only New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be castThis is a sub that aims at bringing data hoarders together to share their passion with like minded people.Press J to jump to the feed.

If you're the sort who would always build your own NAS, go ahead. Just bought a synology ds216play and transfers are a stable 98MBps all day long. zoned I already have four 2TB drives. OMV doesn't have these "issues" as its XFS iirc. you I want to run plex which works best with x86 processors, but all the x86 commercial NAS drives are big money so planning to build my own using the intel baytrail j1900 processor and ubuntu server 14.04 OS. Inspired by our recent articles on building a living room gaming PC and a DIY router, I decided to take the more Ars option. How to plan, manage, and optimize enterprise storage to keep up with the data deluge.Let's get one thing out of the way. This small, cheap accessory means I'm no longer frustrated with the iPhone I bought.