Huston's layering of the different times is unique and compelling. I'm often skeptical of books that are advertised as prize winners. Then the story shifts to his father's point of view, 20 years earlier, then his grandmother's and another 20 years, and finally his great-grandmother during WWII. For a list of a few I would recommend with this, see below (or my Financial Crisis bookshelf on Goodreads).Raghuram Rajan, the rockstar ex-RBI governor was one of the few economists who warned of global financial crisis of 2007-08 before it hit. His argument goes as follows. We’d love your help. Fault lines is the winner of the Prix Femina and was short-listed for the Orange Prize and has made me rethink this prejudice. The book not only takes you out of your comfort zone, it challenges what you believe in, societal schemes, childhood and the basic idea of the innocence of a child.At first I wasn't really too sure about this one...I started reading it, and after just having put down "Forever Lily" because of the whole "I'm in tune with everything" attitude, I was scared when Sol was talking about how great he was and that he knew he had a purpose. There is an interactive map application to view the faults online and a seperate database search function. This book had an interesting premise and structure, but it seems that some of the more interesting parts of the story fell in the gaps between sections. Fault Lines is told through the eyes of four generations of six-year olds, in reverse order. Because I read it The first, Fault Lines has an interesting premise (family secrets told by four generations of six-year-olds, starting with the story of the most recent) about an interesting subject (the blond, blue-eyed children stolen from their families and given to German families to bolster up the Aryan race during WWII) that I quite literally devoured on the trip down. . However, before long, I was hooked. Rajan has international gravitas and has thought about poverty and development in multiple ways. Rajan is also a visiting professor for the World Bank, Federal Reserve Board, and Swedish Parliamentary Commission. He's obsessed with violence, war, rape, mutilation, explicit sex,... and I seriously couldn't work out where things were going. All Rights Reserved. Add to that a sector that judges its worth only by the amount by it makes, you have the perfect recipe for a disaster.It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.Financial Crisis of 2007-08, in a way, is a case study to understand the underlying factors behind almost all major economic crisis - a cocktail of political motive and over-investment financed by debt. Elie Wiesel spent his early years in a small Transylvanian town as one of four children. A brilliant idea. His analysis is holistic, comprehensive, convincing and rational. Fault lines. Speaker after speaker showered adulation and sang praises of the man who stymied all efforts to regulate the spawning of esoteric financial instruments and who also ironically coined the now legendary In the year 2005, the annual Jackson Hole Conference - a prestigious event where there is an assorted convergence of highly reputed bankers, economists and financial journalists - was supposed to be a swansong bash celebrating the achievements of the Federal Reserve Board Chairman, Alan Greenspan. by In all, he suggests, to make the global financial order robust some hard choices need to be made by getting the policies right, and focusing on long term prosperity over short term gains.As an economist and exemplary academician, Rajan has looked beyond the convenience of targeting the government and greed of the finance world as the only reasons for the financial crisis of 2007. I think that this is all the genius of Nancy Huston who always manage in her books to create a sphere of intimacy while opening a door on it for the reader who feels like a intruder inside the frame (at least it is what I felt by reading her books). Speaker after speaker showered adulation and sang praises of the man who stymied all efforts to regulate the spawning of esoteric financial instruments and who also ironically coined the now legendary epithet, "irrational exuberance". Huston, though I had never heard of her has written 12 novels. My problem was that the first part was told by a five-year-old, Sol.