%PDF-1.4 %���� In order to showcase how sea levels may rise in the next century, research group Climate Central created a new plug-in for Google Earth that visualizes what flooding may happen by … 0000052535 00000 n A collaboration of Washington Sea Grant, University of Washington Climate Impacts Group, Oregon State University, University of Washington, and US Geologi­cal Survey. The new and updated maps show 215′ of sea level rise. 0000005341 00000 n 0000004244 00000 n When I first made the New York and the Boston maps, I rendered the sea level rise at a much lower level than the cities of the West Coast. (2019).The visualizations above provide sea level rise projections for your location. What level of risk am I willing to take given the problem I’m facing?”Learn about how to use the most current Washington State sea level rise projections based on information presented in the newly releasedNOAA’s Sea Level Rise Viewer, showing average high tides in Westport, WA with 2 feet of sea level riseNOAA’s Sea Level Rise Viewer, showing a 100-year extreme still water level in Westport, WA (4 feet), plus 2 feet of sea level riseFor more information on these sea level rise projections and for extensive documentation on projection methodology please download the project report and associated appendices listed below.Miller, I.M., Morgan, H., Mauger, G., Newton, T., Weldon, R., Schmidt, D., Welch, M., Grossman, E. 2018. Under different global warming scenarios, seas could rise 8 inches to several feet by 2100. This new assessment of sea level rise for Washington state is an improvement over previous assessments.

In addition to updating the science, the new report offers more detail on what to expect at specific locations. Project Contacts .

0000051961 00000 n Washington, DC Sea Rise Map. Check out Curbed Miami’s image sliders 0000007659 00000 n Sea level rise is an increase in the level of the world’s oceans due to the effects of global warming.Burning fossil fuels is one of the causes of global warming because it releases carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gasses into the atmosphere.The oceans then absorb the majority of this heat. However, the 2018 Washington State sea level rise projections are not restricted to use with the mean higher high water datum.The sea level rise visualizations were funded by an EarthLab Innovation Grant with support from Tableau and Seattle Public Utilities. 1506 0 obj <> endobj xref 1506 38 0000000016 00000 n 11 0000002664 00000 n

you know the amount of sea level change you are planning for and you want to know the likelihood that that amount will be exceeded at a given point in time).Relative sea level rise (RSLR) is the long-term (over multiple years or decades) average sea surface height relative to a fixed point on land. Coastal subsidence during such an event would have the effect of raising local relative sea level.The table below is adapted from this report. This report provides an updated set of sea level rise projections that incorporate the latest science and community-scale projections. trailer < Interested in seeing how other cities in the nation will be affected? 0000032456 00000 n 0000004129 00000 n Th e new projections can be applied to risk management and planning processes, and are recommend for communities performing coastal impacts assessments within the state of Washington.. An interactive map based on the report shows relative sea level rise …

The water levels below are expressed in terms of feet above mean higher high water (MHHW), or the average high tide.

The Atlantic Seaboard slopes very gradually from the ocean to the Piedmont…much more gradually than the rugged West Coast. They describe “still water level,” or the coastal water elevation due average high tide plus storm surge, or everything except for waves and wave run-up – described in detail in Miller et al. 0000032331 00000 n Share on reddit. 0000002494 00000 n Washington DC has a few neighborhoods keeping their heads above water, but anything along the rivers is wiped away.For as long as I’ve thought about making this map (which has been a long time–this is the first new sea rise map I’ve made in years), I’ve thought …I haven’t made a new city map in this series for years. Prepared for the Washington Coastal Resilience Project.

0000008018 00000 n Fostering resilience to rising seas requires more than sea level rise projections alone. Share on facebook. 0000032650 00000 n Coastal decision-makers are faced with questions datasets can’t answer, such as, “Do I need to plan for what the coastline will look like in 20 years, 50 or 100? 0000004511 00000 n

These projections are probabilistic, meaning they describe a full range of likelihoods of future sea level changes for a given greenhouse gas scenario over time. These new projections also account for the geographic variability in the vertical movement of the land surface across Washington state and are designed for direct application to risk management and planning.