Be the first to rate this post.

Lake Vermilion Musky Fishing Report for Early July.

This creates what I consider to be the golden rule of musky fishing – First-and-foremost, know that musky fishing is not a cheap hobby (or addiction).
Traditionally, summer fishing has been defined as casting your favorite bucktail in shallow weeds on your lake of choice. Most years this would be of little to no concern as much of the musky angling pressure in July and August are laser focused on Canadian waters, but as we all know 2020 is far from normal. Callander Bay offers excellent summer and fall muskie fishing and gives you shelter and safety in comparison to the rest of the lake. Muskies – Formally known as the fish of 10,000 casts; for good reason.

Regardless of what line of thinking you fall under the use of common sense in regards to muskie survival should be your greatest concern.In no way shape or form do I recommend fishing for muskies above 80* surface temperatures and feel that it should be avoided for the safety of muskies. However, I become extremely concerned when “hot” temps permeate a foot or more into the water column.

As we move into late summer the open water nomads that are chasing bait around the open basins start to push up onto main lake structure a little more. Anglers …

It’s important to find out the forage species in the lake.

Using soft plastics, bucktails, and For many musky anglers, a simple hobby turns into a lifelong addiction. However, water temperatures and their “fishability” are not governed by fish and game agencies. Get to the lake well before sunrise (an hour or two early) and fish until the bite turns off or you stop seeing fish. With this data taken into consideration it is hard to argue against the increased mortality rate of muskies caught in high water temperatures.Unfortunately, we live in a world where science takes a back seat in many instances. I personally use a Musky Shop float rule most of the time, this allows me to get a pretty accurate length on a muskie while it is still in the net. If the temperature is significantly lower mere inches below the surface, I have never been hesitant to wet a line. So, in this case be sure to wet you bump board making sure that it is cool to the touch. Summer can be one of the best, yet most frustrating times to for musky fishing. Table Of Contents. So, in the spirit of conservation let’s look at some ways to minimize the risk of mortality when fishing in hot water.High water temps can come as early as May, but often they are only surface deep. With many lakes in Wisconsin already reporting surface temps in the high 70’s prior to July 1st, the trajectory towards higher water temps looks all but guaranteed. Posted by Billy Rosner | Jul 7, 2020 | Minnesota | Local guide Billy Rosner is coming in hot with a fresh Lake Vermilion musky report for those of you looking to put one of those elusive toothy Esox in the boat this week.