July 14, 2008 January 1, 2000

... as she does in the first half of Petulia.

Original Score: 5/5 People unconsciously elevate their manners to fit these clean new environments, nodding graciously to each other in the supermarket aisles as if they were actors in a commercial for living better electrically.This world is brilliantly recreated in "Petulia."

he replies with a simple answer: to motivate her to buy a tv.Essential movies for lonely people out there (like me) if you want to feel something in this big big world.…It’s an LGBTQ+ world and these are my other LGBTQ+ lists on Letterboxd:It's simple: Post your #1 ever (no runners-up or ties please) in the comments and I'll add…This is a suggested viewing list of narrative films for the Film and Visual Studies PhD offered by Harvard University.…This list collects every film from the Starting List that became They Shoot Pictures Don't They's 1000 Greatest Films. After Scott examines the torn leg of a little Mexican boy who has been run over by a car, he turns away.

The scenes involving Archie interacting with Warren, Polo's new man, were…'Girls like me are very rare..' (Julie Christie as Petulia).. and so are movies like Richard Lester's captivating stranger's perspective of late '60's San Francisco, one which adroitly radiates the peculiar vibe of the counterculture era by way of this director's singular storytelling technique, incorporating fast cutting and a splintered narrative, taking the viewer back and forth in the chronology of the affair between an 'arch kook' (Christie at her most staggeringly gorgeous) and a soon-to-be divorced surgeon experiencing a mid-life crisis (George C. Scott). This is a film that is as much about the sixties as a product of it, expertly photographed by Nicholas Roeg and featuring two of the finest performances of the decade by Julie Christie and George C. Scott. But when we are confronted so directly with the soulless quality of American materialism, as in "Petulia," we are repelled and disgusted.

Starring: George C. Scott, Joseph Cotten, Richard Chamberlain, Julie Christie . Scott's character takes life as it comes.