I have been catching all sorts of bait and getting ready for future trips.

You’ll end up catch more than the active anglers.Spanish mackerel are in different areas of the water column. There are over 18 species in the genus Note: This article will have some generalizations on the different types, but in the future, I hope to break them out individually into their own guides.There are 18 subspecies of mackerel that we’ll be generalizing in this fishing and cooking guide.At one year old they are around 8 inches and at four years old they are about 14 inches.For more information about Spanish mackerel, check out the Well, it’s easy. Once you’re all rigged up, it’s time to start catching some Spanish mackerel! The stripers chase the Mack’s in and I was wondering to cast the chum slick bag out and let it sit on the bottom and fish .

Drop, stop, wait, drop, stop, wait, and repeat until you cover the whole water column and catch a fish.When you get the leg hit the bottom wind up because it doesn’t take much to snag either the lead and or the five or six books you’ve got six chances of losing all your gear.
They mature at 2 years of age, and can live up to 12 years. This way you don’t get all the slime and scales all over your nice rod handle.If you have a chum bag, use it to keep the mackerel close to the boat. The birds are eating the smaller fish and the mackerel will be eating them from below.Generally, the birds will be feeding in the morning. Ice the fish down immediately for best results after taking photos of course.Join a local Game or Sport fishing club and talk to the tackle shops to find out how to find good fishing spots here are some local hotspots for Spanish mackerel.They love a bit of current and deep water near islands, rocks and reefs, where there are plenty of Ambushing opportunities. Don’t bother with big sweeps up and down because you know you’re not gonna get those finicky feeders. Now you'll still have to bring in the bait and waste precious fishing time to remove the protruding eyeballs. Therefore, treat these feathers with the same movements of small baitfish because that’s what the mackerel will be feeding on.I found that good tip for catching mackerel. This is set up the same way you would set up a bobber rig for trout. Do this over and over again in six-foot intervals.
It's much better and more … Distance-style carp leads of around 3 oz should reach the mackerel shoals easily, attached to the end of the string of feathers. Troll your spread about 4 knots which seems to be about the best speed when trolling big baits.High speed jigging chrome lures can also be very productive and awesome action when they smash your lure at high speed. Then as you lower them over your fish box, keeping everything nice and tight, you can either take them off by hand or you can turn the hook up-side-down depending on the size of the barb. I like to use the Tarpon pattern, model 7766 in the Mustad and model 6026 in the Eagle Claw.

Notice that if another guy is catching all the mackerel on the boat, ask him what water level he’s at and also check what feather’s he’s using. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.While you're here, why not follow us on Facebook and YouTube? These much bigger fish have a tendency to push a lot of water as they charge a bait, which can actually push a small ballyhoo away and cause a pitch bait to slide right past the fish’s mouth and miss the bite. Saute the fillets in butter and garlic. Also recommend a serious 6ft Gaff for that extra reach and control of a large Spanish when coming alongside.Watch out for the razor sharp teeth, many serious injuries have resulted from getting too close to those teeth. You don’t want to drop them down fast, drop them down slowly and in segments. I hate fishing. A ganged hook rig, with a 30cm length or wire trace and a swivel is the standard rig of good mackerel anglers. Spanish Mackerel Rig. Spanish mackerel grow up to 60 kilo’s and 7 foot in length, although they are more commonly caught between 10 and 20 kilo’s in size.The Spanish mackerel fishing seems to keep on improving with new fishing regulations seeming to have an impact with bag limits of three per person. Look after your Herring, freeze individually and treat like gold, almost as dear to buy from your local tackle shop. There’s still a chance that there are mackerel under them. Three’s heaps anyhow, so only take what you need, especially when on a hot bite, it’s easy to bag out.Some of the best techniques for catching Spanish mackerel are Trolling Lures and Baits, Jigging chrome lures. For gear, pretty much any light to a heavy outfit will work depending on how much you want to fight with the fish.Mackerel aren’t picky and will go for whatever bait you’re using for other fish as well. You earned the moment off to relax .You have the greatest support team and Capt Mark is among them .He is great sharing his knowledge with us TU .